Tuesday, April 03, 2007

And then we'll charge $12 for popcorn!

Wired reports that the E3 replacement with the ridiculous name has just announced prices. It gave me an excuse to visit the site wherein I found this little blurb about the event:

They say good things come to those who wait — and they’re right.

E for ALL™ is the world’s first electronic entertainment show that brings game enthusiasts face-to-face with industry giants and the latest, hottest up-and-coming products. Test drive the newest and try out the not-yet-released games you’ve been waiting for.

E for All™ is powered by the people, and you’re in the driver’s seat. It’s going to be one wild ride! You in?

You’ve waited long enough for a show like this. See you in October!

If this expo delivers everything as promised, how exactly is this different than E3 (aside from the wave of inferior humanity that wasn't smart [or connected] enough to score badges at E3)? Anyways, that PR drivel above makes me all gassy and bloated inside. I'm sitting here imagining all the noise and insanity of E3 with the added bonus of the total lack of that little voice that says "I guess I shouldn't screw up since I'm wearing a badge with my name and company on it".

Hmm, anonymity eh? Well in that case... I can't wait to be there the first day! Dude, see you at the free Mt. Dews!

I digress. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this was just a giant conspiracy to make money. It's just inevitable that this will turn into E3 of old. The press won't avoid it and the publishers won't be able to resist strutting. I know... I'm repeating myself from older posts but frankly, with the price of admission out in the open now and no other discernible differences, I can't help but think this is a plain ol'fashioned money grab.

E3 is dead, long live E3!

No comments: