Monday, April 02, 2007

Google knows who you fragged last night

Google has filed a patent for targeting in-game ads based on player behavior. I don't have the patience to read through the actual patent but according to the MarketingVox article, it will serve you ads based on your actual in-game behavior and choices. For instance, if you choose race with a fixed-up Toyota rather than a stock Ferrari, perhaps you're in that Japanophile category of users.

The potential for this kind of data makes me salivate. Do healers have different shopping patterns than nuking mages? Can I find out what type of clothes you would buy IRL by the type of items you choose in-game? Figuring out this stuff will introduce the new evolution of games and marketing.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a connection between games and real life spending. I'd like to see a loyalty program where the more I spend offline, the more I get online. Drink Pepsi, get platinums. Would it kill immersion? Probably but it wouldn't apply to most games, just ones where this type of synergy would be valuable to everyone concerned.

No comments: