Tuesday, September 05, 2006

MySpace to sell music

Back in July, oh at around 9:08 PM on the 18th... I wrote:

I think MySpace should sell stuff. I'm not saying MySpace should suddenly turn into Amazon. However, I am saying that there is potential for them to provide services to their audience that would generate revenue and make things interesting. How about selling some of that music?... [and so on and so forth]
Just the usual blah blah blah blah BLAH? Oh, no, not this time. Via the NY Times:
MySpace, the online community site owned by the News Corporation, said on Friday that it would sell music through a partnership with Snocap, a technology company started by the creator of Napster, Shawn Fanning. When the online store opens this fall, it will allow bands and labels of any size to sell songs online for whatever price they want.
(First, I'd just like to say that I totally called it. Yay me! Don't try to tell me they probably had this in their plans for months. Nope, la la la, not listening. They read the Newb and shamelessly yoinked my idea. That's what happened. Bastards!)

Woo, whatever price they want?! Now this is interesting. Finally a way for MySpace to make some money and a way for record label execs to shove it to Apple (who require a fixed price for music on iTunes). Everyone's happy!

But wait, there's more to the story: MySpace sold music will be in the MP3 format, you know, the unprotected-steal-all-day-long format? Somewhere out there, there's a music executive in her penthouse office screaming, "APPLE!! You win again! Damn you! Damn you to hell!"

Note to self: this guy always wins.

No comments: