Sunday, March 18, 2007

More of a good thing?

via Reuters: An article on giving video games a larger presence in schools and teaching. If I read the story right, the thinking goes like this: Games provide a depth not available in books, studies show that it might work and why not, the kids like it.

You know, this feels very much like what they said about using TVs to teach in school. As far as I know, that hasn't replaced the old book and teacher. I'm all for games (actually, let's call it interactive content) helping kids in schools but I don't see it going anywhere beyond a novelty.

I will caveat, however, that I think simulations can be tremendously valuable as teaching tools. I've learned from stock market sims and situational training sims. Most of the time though, these don't provide the fundamentals but rather enhances the learning process through application of skills. Hopefully we'll see more of these.

No comments: