Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why is he at the clinic again?

Launched just a few days ago, a new online startup allows you to set up a social network and then track the whereabouts of everyone in that network via mobile GPS technology. Check it out: loopt

It was only a matter of time before this came out. The question is: would anyone use it? The main concern would obviously be privacy. However, with technology pushing the definition of privacy beyond recognition, the younger generation probably won't care. Their lives are already on display 24/7 online and accessible by anyone. The older generation, well, they still have some catching up to do.

As for myself, I would use it though I'm not sure I could convince many of my friends to join me. I don't have much to hide and I've long learned that the only privacy you get is in your head. Everything else is free game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the comment and we're happy to hear that you're excited about loopt and would use it.

As you said, privacy is a main concern for services like loopt. That's why we've built loopt as an opt-in closed network for trusted friends.

For more detailed info, check out a comment we made on TechCrunch.

Again, thanks for the comment and let us know if you have any questions. Stay tuned for future developments...

Evan

Ken said...

Shameless marketing on my shameless marketing blog. I love it!

=)

I'd try out the service but I'm on T-mobile and loopt appears to only be for Boost. Sad day.

If it makes everyone feel better...

My current location: Home Office