Thursday, May 18, 2006

Play that funky remix

My first love was King Quest's III, sure I dabbled in casual relationships with some Atari floozies for a while but with KQ3, it was serious. I'm not shy about it either, it's on "professional" profile. That game did something that no other game at the time could do, make me skip a meal. Keep in mind that I was 10 years old at the time... I liked my eat'n time.

Boy was I in love with that game; it was a sweet union of books and games. Interestingly enough, it helped me learn to type too. I remember frantically trying to key in commands before some really unsavory thing happened to my character. But enough about my memories. Apparently, a lot of other people have had fond memories of that game too.

I ran into a group called "Infamous Adventures" who have the very fantastic goal of remaking KQ3 in VGA (that's better graphics (256 colors) than CGA (4 colors) or EGA (16 colors) if you never heard the acronym). They're basically giving the entire game a nice makeover with new images, effects and sounds. A remix if you will. An explanatory trailer is here.

Once I got over my initial fanboy response of "OMG, I MUST PLAY THAT". I started thinking of games as a resource for remixing, like music. It makes me ponder the possibilities of "new" games if some really creative talents out there starting doing this. In the case of KQ3, it's just a makeover, but there's no reason it can't be more funky.

I can imagine blending side scrollers together, Pitfall + Super Mario? Or maybe FPS, Duck Hunt + Doom? Crazy combos, Zelda + Bubble Bobble. Has someone already done this and I missed it? I would love to see this happen.

No comments: