Friday, March 10, 2006

Grammar and spelling so bad, it made my eyes water

Now normally, I wouldn't do this and it's probably against at least three ethical codes of conduct but what the heck*, check out what I got in my inbox:

"i have wote a game so wot do i do send it to you by post or by email please write back."

(When I was in the South, I learned a phrase that the ladies use. "Bless his heart". You would use this phrase after saying the meanest things but it would be ok, because the phrase is the salve that makes it all ok. Example: "He's dumb as a rock, bless his heart".)

That is the stupidest email I have ever read, bless his/her heart! Now I can spend time explaining why that's bad and why you should never write to a professional (hehe, I'm professional) in that way or why message board vernacular doesn't cut it in business land... but I won't.

Instead, I'll focus on my own demons. "What if this person actually wote an incredible game; the next Halo? What if the sheer brilliance of this person is hidden behind regretful communication skills?" I thought. You know, I don't want to be the guy that judged Einstein by his hair. So I actually sit down and craft up a response: "Thank you for contacting us, we don't normally solicit games, yadda yadda blah blah". I was this close to hitting send and then I thought, "Are you kidding?"

I'm not a snob, I swear, but I can't condone this type of behavior. I can't do it! I'm sorry Wote, I'm ignoring your email.

(*If you wonder why I keep the words G rated, it's because of the BOTS audience that might one day happen upon this blog.)

If grammar interests you, please read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"

No comments: