Monday, April 17, 2006

Truth is stretchy... to a point.

Look, I'm not going to lie, marketers are not good people. Heck, I'm not a good person. You boil it all down, I try to sell brain candy to children. I'm not trying to get them to exercise or read a book or ponder the cosmos. I barely sleep at night, thanks for asking.

So it should come as no surprise that marketers bend the truth. Sometimes they outright lie. And in some cases, they bend the truth so much, it snaps. It's ugly: when they have truth all broke and stuff in their hands, they panic. They look at each other and, quicker than Billy the Kid can draw, fingers are pointing this way and that. In the end, they're no good with broken truth. So they brush all the pieces together into a manila envelope and defeatedly hand it off to PR..... because PR knows how to put that stuff back together right? Right?!

Oh yes, it's funny when marketers mess up. Via Kotaku, the story about the PSP Splinter Cell ad. The ad says, "One of the best games on PSP - Gamespy".

What Gamespy really said was actually in a preview and it went something like this: "Although Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Essentials doesn’t reinvent the wheel in any way, it’s undoubtedly one of the best games we’ve played on the PSP."

This was before the final review, which was even worse: " Hopefully, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Essentials will go down as the all-time low point for the series."

Medic! I mean, PR!

I can't wait until I mess up this royally. Remember, marketers are evil, I'm a marketer, therefore, I am evil. Never trust the evil. =)

No comments: